The Wine Log Blog

A blog of my wine tastings and reviews for anybody who likes wine or just wants a good wine recommendation. This site will be especially useful to those in Ontario, Canada shopping at the LCBO. You can search my reviews by using the search bar located at the top of the page. ----Note: Try refreshing the page if you don't see anything new!----

Saturday, April 07, 2007

2007 Toronto Wine and Cheese Show


What drew me to this show was the chance to taste great wines that I wouldn’t get the chance to taste anywhere else for a reasonable price. Although I tried a few other more moderately priced wines I only took notes on the biggest and the best as this was my primary focus. These wines were not always from the most raved about vintages (often years before or after a blockbuster vintage), but they still gave me a taste of what the top wines in the world can offer. All of these wines were poured at the Classics premium tasting area.
Note: the ‘+’ after my rating denotes that the wine could score higher with some time to age.



2001 Château Latour
Anyone who has taken a serious interest in the wines of Bordeaux, or wine in general, will know this name’s repute instantly. 2001 didn’t get the acclaim of the 2000 vintage, but it is also priced less ridiculously as a result. I think this wine definitely has many more years ahead of it to fully develop, but it is somewhat accessible now. I get whiffs of charred oak, mulberry (some might say cassis), and surprisingly some light sour cherry – but still more on the black fruit side of the spectrum. There is a certain roundness to the character and though the tannins are very fine they still have good grip. There is a light floral element – lilac? Perhaps some mineral and black tea elements in there as well. Very long finish with plum fruit lingering. Rated 95 by both Wine Spectator and Wine Advocate; 92 from International Wine Cellar. $330 94+




1995 Château Lynch-Bages
Though it’s rated as a fifth growth this has very little to do with its quality. The colour is a nice burgundy at the rim which shows its age as do the aromas of light earthy smoke and tobacco (slightly green), with a little fruity plum and cassis at first. There are also some faint meaty elements adding to the character. Light spicy plum on the finish. It was a completely different experience than the Latour (as I expected from the age and producer). 91 Wine Advocate – my notes are similar to Parker’s which is usually not the case (he seems to pick out completely different things than I do). Drink now or over the next 5 years. $175 91


2004 Astralis – Clarendon Hills
This wine blew me away; it was like nothing I’ve tried before. At first I got a pleasantly odd concentrated black olive-like fruitiness with some very nice minty/eucalyptus-like notes joining the chorus of soft vanillins (from the oak) and ripe black fruit. This is going to sound strange but there is definitely some soy sauce in the nose (I kept thinking of Asian food until I was able to put my finger on it)! Nicely spiced plum pudding towards the end. Even some roasted meat (very little). A little softer on the finish than I was expecting, which is the only thing I wasn’t too fond of, but it is so silky smooth. I’d give it another 5-10 years, but it’s quite drinkable now. Robert Parker thinks this will go over 30 years, but when it’s this good why wait that long? He gives it 96-98, once again we agree (but his notes read a little different than mine). $390 97


1999 Château D’Yquem
Being the only Château in Sauternes to garner the Premier Cru Supérieur classification this wine comes with a huge reputation. I am a budding Sauternes enthusiast so the opportunity to try the greatest of them all (even in a mediocre year) was quite a treat. Very waxy with honey and beeswax and light floral elements taking the fore and a little botrytis spice in the background, not bad, but not the complexity I was hoping for. The experience in the mouth was amazing though; rich and unctuous but light and smooth as smoke, with some suggestions of smoke in the taste profile as well. Lingering apricot and honey finish. Quite a pleasant encounter. Wine Spectator gives it a 95. $175 (for 375mL) 94



2003 Ermitage l’Ermite – M. Chapoutier
The hue is an amazing royal purple. It has a black olive note similar to the Astralis, but with more meatiness and a slightly iodine/medicinal tinge. It also has more grip with slight cherry, dark fruit, light vanilla – very pure expression, well delineated flavours. I don’t know if it’s the perfection that Parker is referring to but it is really nice. With such structure I’d like to try this wine in another 10 years. 100 from Wine Advocate. $199 95+

Labels: , , ,