The Wine Log Blog

A blog of my wine tastings and reviews for anybody who likes wine or just wants a good wine recommendation. This site will be especially useful to those in Ontario, Canada shopping at the LCBO. You can search my reviews by using the search bar located at the top of the page. ----Note: Try refreshing the page if you don't see anything new!----

Monday, November 13, 2006

Vintages Releases October – November 2006

In my search for new wines to satisfy my ever growing addiction I’ve been spending more than I should at Vintages lately. Thankfully, there are sometimes wines available for tasting which gives me a chance to experience wines without depleting my limited funds. In this post I will share my brief notes on the wines I’ve tasted at the store or bought from the last few releases in October and November (some of which are still available at the time of this posting).

2003 ‘Sierra Series’ Zinfandel – Renwood
Rich cherry and brambley blackberry with some soft vanilla from the oak and interesting rhubarb notes. There is apple pie and cinnamon in the background too. Almost as rich as some higher alcohol Zins I’ve had. Great balance, it’s definitely not overripe. Gold Medal at 2006 Tasters Guild International Wine Judging Completion. $19.95. VG-E

2005 Gewürztraminer Spätlese Feinherb - Geil
Lychee nut and ripe peach, clean mineral and spice finish. Nice Gewürz. $16.95. VG-G

2002 ‘Tatone’ Montepulciano D’Abruzzo- Terra D’Aligi
Good acid, tiny hint of tar, soft tannins, extract is ok. 86 from Wine Access. $15.95.G-VG

2004 ‘Old Vines’ Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvèdre - Torbreck
Peppery strawberry, new oak, and blueberry and raspberry on the finish. There is also a lovely earthy cedar spice to it. Once of the nicer GSMs I’ve had lately, but not the best. $19.95. VG

2004 ‘Stonehorse’ Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvèdre – Kaesler
Quite a spicy palate with red fruit and a nice limestone minerality. Good finish. I did not note the smoothness or chocolate mentioned in the Wine Spectator review (91pts), perhaps because this wine was open for a while before I tasted it. It was spicier than the Torbreck above. $19.95. VG (maybe more if not aired out so much)

There are other wines I tasted and wines that are still in the cellar from these recent releases, they will be featured in future posts.

Labels: ,