The Wine Log Blog

A blog of my wine tastings and reviews for anybody who likes wine or just wants a good wine recommendation. This site will be especially useful to those in Ontario, Canada shopping at the LCBO. You can search my reviews by using the search bar located at the top of the page. ----Note: Try refreshing the page if you don't see anything new!----

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Vintages – June 10, 2006 Release

Not too many products caught my eye in this release, but I did find 2 wines I was intrigued enough to buy. I was also contemplating the 2003 Château L’Hospitalet ‘La Réserve’ Rouge ($18.95, and 92 from Wine Spectator), but never got around to it (thankfully for my wallet).

Here are the two I decide to get:

2004 Chenin Blanc - Kanu
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a South African Chenin and this one was quite enticing rated at 90 by the Wine Enthusiast. I was definitely not disappointed. Honeydew melon and pear mingle with floral honey and candied orange peel all of which lingers nicely with the smooth finish. On the nose I detect something slightly green (peas?). Smells like it may have been left on the lees a while. A bit of sweetness, but just enough acid to make it a nice food wine. The pear and melon remind me a lot of a Pinot Grigio. Great value, I bought 2 more bottles. $11.95 VG-E

2003 Mucadet de Sèvre et Maine (Sur Lie) – Domain de Grand Maison (Langlois- Château)
Not as perfumed as I was expecting from a Muscadet, nor is it very floral. Light lemon/grapefruit with strawberry patch aromas and some ‘greasy/resinous’ mineral undertones (I guess this is what the Vintages notes refer to as ‘mineral and pine resin’). Maybe some melon aromas? What impressed me was despite the light character of this wine the mouth feel and weight were fabulous; very full round texture (the time on lees has something to do with that probably). However, strongly flavoured food will overpower this wine so pair it accordingly. $13.95 VG

Labels: ,