The Wine Log Blog

A blog of my wine tastings and reviews for anybody who likes wine or just wants a good wine recommendation. This site will be especially useful to those in Ontario, Canada shopping at the LCBO. You can search my reviews by using the search bar located at the top of the page. ----Note: Try refreshing the page if you don't see anything new!----

Monday, May 28, 2007

Argentinean Malbec Continued

Since my initial experiences with Malbec from Argentina were positive (see ‘Argentinean Malbec’ posting) I decided to line up another few to help me further characterize these wines. Unfortunately one of the ones I was looking forward to tasting most was spoiled (2004 Norton Reserva, 91 WS) but the remaining 3 proved more than adequate.

2004 ‘Catena’ Malbec – Bodegas Catena Zapata
Having tried the 2002 I was curious to see how this vintage would compare. This vintage also shows ample oak influence with a very open fruit forward nose of black cherry and cassis (more so than a Cabernet I found). There is some pomegranate in the finish and I also noticed some green tobacco. As is typical for a good Malbec some dark chocolate is in there too. Although there are definite similarities between the vintages, and 2004 is very expressive, it is not as polished as the 2002. My only gripe is the oak is too dominant. Give it a year or 2 to come together. $19.95 90

2005 Reserva Malbec – Finca Flinchman
Loaded with slightly salty preserved plum, strawberry, and coffee with light cherry, woody spice and mineral to round the profile it out. Most interesting is that is covers sweet, sour, salty, and bitter flavours which I don’t think I’ve noticed in a wine to this degree before. A lot of wine for the money! $12.95 91


2004 Mendoza Malbec – Achaval Ferrer

This wine took a little while to open up in the glass, but once it did it was quite impressive. It has the same sour and sweet plum as the Flinchman, but it’s not as salty. Coffee and an interesting savory herb and roasted wood note. Blackberry and strawberry jam add and impression of sweetness to this well balanced wine. This is like a deeper more structured version of the Flinchman which is why I think it will drink better in 2009. Probably the best Malbec I’ve had so far. Wine Spectator gives it a 91 also noting plum, mineral and good acidity. $24.95 92

From my notes a few less common elements seem to be present in most of the Argentinean Malbecs I’ve had: a definite sour fruit note which is unique and pleasant as well as a salty mineral like taste, chocolate/coffee notes seem to be typical also. Maybe the sour salty thing is just me (since I’ve only read a few other people’s tasting notes that mention this so far) but to me it is a fairly noticeable. These wines tend to be well extracted and expressive with lots of black and blue fruit, good acidity, and interesting flavour accents which is why I’m becoming quite fond of them.

Labels: ,